First Prototype: Sound
We’re starting this article with a recap of Part 1 of this series, which highlighted our first prototype for the 2015 Mustang EcoBoost exhaust design. If you recall, this design featured a midmuffler as well as two rear mufflers.
We promised a sound clip of our first design, so check it out below!
As you can hear, this setup is not quite what we are looking for. Although our mufflers are more free-flowing compared to the stock units, the sound of the EcoBoost is still stifled quite a bit. In fact, actual noise increases over the stock exhaust setup are minimal and nearly unidentifiable.
We needed to make some modifications to create a more prominent sound. Back to the drawing board!
Prototype 2 Plans
This project is turning out to be quite an experimental process. We had planned to try numerous different configurations until we attain an optimal sound. Stick with us during the process to see what changes in design make the most impact on the tone and volume of our EcoBoost.
Our next plan is to eliminate the midmuffler. By removing it we should see a weight decrease as well as a louder exhaust. We are sticking with the same rear muffler in order to change just one variable at a time.
Our first task is to create a Y-section to replace the existing midmuffler. We began cutting pipe to the correct dimensions to prepare for welding.
A bit of welding ensures that exhaust leaks will not have an impact on our testing.
Once complete we had our second prototype ready for some additional sound testing! Check it out!
Prototype 3 Fabrication
Another one already? Yes, we are making a third prototype. This one will be much easier. Our plan is to try out a couple different muffler styles to evaluate the sound produced. Our third prototype is similar to the second, yet features a round rear muffler. This will impact sound in terms of both volume and tone.
Here is the muffler we intend to test with our 2015 Mustang EcoBoost exhaust!
First we mocked up our plans for the pipe route. The angle would need to differ for this muffler due to a longer length.
We added a few tacks to ensure that these components stay in place during our initial placement.
Next we made adjustments to the mounting locations and pipe length to achieve our desired placement.
Once we had our dimensions and angles correct, we assembled and installed the third prototype exhaust. Check out a few shots showing the pipe routes.
We then fully welded the pipe assembly to provide leak-free operation during our upcoming 2015 Mustang EcoBoost exhaust testing.
You will notice that the end of our mufflers do not quite reach the outlets of the bumper. For testing purposes, we needed to put together a quick set of tips to prevent the hot exhaust from melting the bumper.
Keep in mind that these muffler tips were used purely for testing. We will be taking a close look at exhaust tip design options to select something aesthetically pleasing for the rear bumper profile of the Mustang.
Below is a summary of our prototype designs thus far.
Prototype 2 & 3 Sound Testing
Now we just need to hear how these new prototypes sound! Check back next time for sound clips with both of these mufflers setups.
Thanks for reading!