Putting together our final prototype was a bit easier for this project compared to other front-mount intercooler (FMIC) kits our team has developed. As mentioned in previous segments, we used the crash beam and intercooler from our 2015 WRX kit. Now we’ve worked up some functional prototype piping for a final test fit. First, let’s take a quick look at each portion of the kit.
With our cold-side piping complete, it was time to focus on the hot side. This portion of the piping system would require a bit more attention, mainly because we were unable to scavenge any existing pipes from our WRX/STI front-mount intercooler kits (as we did with the cold side). Let’s get to it!
Piping FabricationThe hot-side piping will route from the turbocharger compressor outlet, around the driver side of the engine bay, and into the front bumper area to attach to the intercooler. Here is a look at the turbocharger connection point. Continue Reading ››
Our first segment of this STI intercooler project involved the test fitting of our WRX crash beam and intercooler core. We were able to verify fitment of both pieces, which allowed our team to move on to piping fabrication. We are starting this kit with the cold-side pipe, which we’ve decided to place this on the passenger side of the engine bay to reduce the piping length as much as possible. Following this strategy should help reduce lag seen by the driver.
Pipe FabricationThe cold-side pipe is a great place to start because we are able to use a portion of … Continue Reading ››
We’ve got some interesting plans to evaluate the performance benefits of our TGV delete kit. In addition, we want to evaluate any appreciable differences in terms of air temperature between the two materials (aluminum and Delrin) we have selected for our prototypes.
Test PreparationFor our first assessment, we will evaluate airflow temperatures in both materials during dyno testing. The goal here is to determine whether the different heat transfer properties of the two materials have an impact on the airflow within the TGV unit. Ideally we would use pre-TGV and post-TGV sensors to evaluate this, but for our initial test a … Continue Reading ››
We’re back with another quick update on our TGV delete project for the 2015+ WRX. After designing our initial models and then 3D-printing a prototype for test fitting, we worked up a couple functional prototypes for on-car testing.